Perceptions of Christians

Home Forums Religion Perceptions of Christians

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Paula 5 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mel W.

As a Christian, I find that many times non-Christians expect me to be very different from how I am, as if I’m supposed to come complete with halo and robe in some cases, and as if I should start condemning people to hell in others. Exactly what attitudes and qualities do non-Christians expect to see in Christians? What do Christians expect of other Christians? Are Christians generally viewed as positive or negative? Thanks everybody who answers.

User Detail :  

Name : Mel W., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant

Christians are a widely varied group and it’s impossible to say they have any common characteristics beyond a belief in Christ as savior. Some Christians are tolerant. Some are bigots. Some are caring. Some are not. Almost any human characteristic can be found in such a huge group of people

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Huntington, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Reporter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt21815
    Participant

If you are Christian, you will be “Christ-like,” doing all that He did … not just going to church to punch a time-card. That’s what I expect from “Christians.”

User Detail :  

Name : Matt21815, Gender : M, City : Beaumont, State : CA Country : United States, 

JerryS

From the way you phrased your question, I’m guessing you differentiate between Christians in general and being born again or something similar. To me, as someone who is not Christian in any sense of the word, all I expect of Christians is that they behave like decent human beings and keep their religious beliefs to themselves unless asked. That’s all I expect of anyone of any religion.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mark B.

Part of the schism between Christians and non-Christians is the “us vs. them” attitude espoused by the well-known Christian leaders (Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, etc.). The 700 Club web site has stories of faith and love, but those are usually balanced out by stories and articles of prejudice and discrimination aimed at, for example, the gay and lesbian community. The g/l’s are targeted as being broken and sinful, while the g/l Christians are laughed off as misinformed at best, heretics at worst. Christians are expected, then, to by default be not broken and sinful, but we all know that cannot be. Only one person has ever managed that… I listen to the Christian radio stations here in Dallas and am amazed at how many of the advertising slots are filled by commercials from therapists, family counselors, chemical dependency centers, etc. So the much publicized rhetoric from Christian leaders helps to build this dichotomy, which ultimately creates division instead of building bridges.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Cathedral of Hope - UFMCC, Age : 39, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Financial analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Donna H.

I agree with you. I find that people who are not Christians seem to think that we should be able to do no wrong, that we should just be able to “sail through life” with no problems. In my opinion, if you are trying to stay close to God, and trust in him, that’s when the devil tries his hardest to put obstacles in your way. He doesn’t need to tempt the people he already has! Being a Christian doesn’t mean we are without sin; only God is.

User Detail :  

Name : Donna H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Bowling Green, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : Customer service representative, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

To my brother in CHRIST: Well prabably one of the biggest problems in christianity today is too many people want to sit back and judge how other christians are living there lives! Now if you think about that for one moment and know what your bible says about judging others then how good of a christian person is this that is trying to point out the stake in your eye, when the one in that persons eye has blinded that person to there own faults. so let me just say that unless you are doing something wrong that your saviour has convicted you of and you are doing nothing about it, then Dont try to live up to your christian brothers standards but up to the fathers standards. We cannot live christ like, but can let christ live through us. and let no man judge that!. I hope my point of view helps you! God bless

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel Summers, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Disabled, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Paula
    Participant

A simple perception would be that a Christian is a disciple (student/follower) of Christ. For 6-7 years after Jesus was crucified his followers were called Disciples. It was in the city of Antioch where the non-followers first gave the disciples their new name. (The Bible, Acts 11:19-26). And it was a derogatory name at that, it did not conotate being a ‘good church-going person’ as some people think it does today. Jesus said it best when he said to the Jews who believed in him, ‘If you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciple. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.’ (The Bible, John 8:31,32) Where do we find Jesus’ teachings? In the New Testament of the Bible. If someone wants to know how to perceive a ‘Christian’ they would need to study Jesus’s teachings, become his disciple and walk as he walked. If you meet someone who calls themselves a Christian and is not ‘holding’ to Jesus’s teachings, (thus living the life of a disciple), they probably are just a religious person at best and have not yet learned the truth that will set them free as Jesus talked about.

User Detail :  

Name : Paula, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

As far as walking around with a halo on our heads, I beleive that if we try to walk in the image of Jesus, his light will shine through us. We are not here to judge people, but we are suppose to preach the word.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen Davis, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.