Family Size vs. Income

Home Forums Class Family Size vs. Income

This topic contains 14 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Ronny 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Dave T.

Does anyone know why lower-income families often seem to have larger numbers of children than their more affluent counterparts? To qualify this, I’ve known couples who’ve started off ‘rich’ or ‘poor’ before they started having children. Any ideas?

User Detail :  

Name : Dave T., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Software Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ellen25332
    Participant

Ah, I wish someone would respond to this. I have wondered this many times myself. Realizing myself that I would not want to work 12-14 hours a day to support kids that I created, I chose not to have any kids. My time and money are now my own, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have heard people say that NOT having kids is selfish. Yet I wonder why people have children that they can barely feed or spend time with. Is it simply to have someone that will look after them when they get older? Any child willingly and knowingly brought into this world should not have to suffer to any degree because of the poor and unresolved circumstances of the mother and father.

User Detail :  

Name : ellen25332, Gender : F, City : detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Orleanas19979
    Participant

I think the answer lies in lower-income people not necessarily having the resources provided through healthcare for birth control. Do you also realize that those from ‘less-developed’ countries have more children than those from ‘more-developed countries’? It has to do with access to the supplies and the knowledge to know that these services are beneficial.

User Detail :  

Name : Orleanas19979, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Well probably because they were from large families too.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia Wilson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christie32036
    Participant

To me, if people were more knowledgeable about money and birth control, they would know how many children they can afford. People might not realize how expensive childeren really are. If people also could have access to methods of birth contol, they might not have that many childeren.

User Detail :  

Name : Christie32036, Gender : F, City : Lodi, State : WI Country : United States, 

Ronny

In Third World countries, people have large families to secure thir future. They know that not all of their children will survive, so they have a lot of them to be sure at least some will be able to take care of them when they get old. In addition, you have the problem of a total lack of contraceptives, which of course doesn’t help. Maybe on an unconscious level, lower-income families do the same? And though they don’t have a total lack of contraceptives, they may have less knowledge of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronny, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : n/a, State : NA Country : Norway, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly26585
    Participant

maybe they like them?

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly26585, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kay26742
    Participant

One factor that my contribute towards poorer families having more kids than richer families is time. First, people with more education are more likely to postpone marriage and child bearing in the interest of developing a career. Women who delay child bearing risk having difficulty concieving when they do want to have children, since fertility begins to decline in women as from the age of 27. Second, I think people with well paying (and most likely, more stressful/demanding) careers do not have the time to roll around in the sack as much!

User Detail :  

Name : Kay26742, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominique

I think it’s because they can’t really afford to do anything else except stay at home and have sex.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Italian American, Age : 19, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kyle

To me, what ya’ll are saying is B.S. My family is very wealthy. We live in the biggest house in our neighborhood, which isn’t a ghetto. I have five sisters and one brother. To me that is plenty of kids. Also, give the poor people a little credit. They’re not stupid. They’re still human. They’ve figured out that when you have sex you get a baby. My parents also know this – they just choose to have a big family. After all, the more the merrier.

User Detail :  

Name : Kyle, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 13, City : Spring, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chaz

In general, but not in all cases, people who seem from lower socioeconomic classes tend to be less sexually responisible then their richer counter-parts. This is a result of sociol norms that many poor people hold. Clinics give out free condoms, birth control is avbailible. The lower class in many cases isn’t able to foresee the results of these actions and thus becomes less socially reasonsible.

User Detail :  

Name : Chaz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 17, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

There are some of us who believe Birth Control is a moral and ethical wrong. I intend to have a large family no matter my ‘class’. Whether you are rich or poor, doesn’t matter. There are ways of saving money.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda Wallace, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Retail, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dwanny
    Participant

how much can condoms cost? How about abstinance–that’s free.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

Julie
    Participant

Hi, Dave, My husband and I were 31 when we started having kids — we both wanted to finish grad. school, buy a nice house, cars, etc. We were feeling financially confident when we began trying for a third child. Our thought was, hey, we can provide for them, so why not? But before we became financially successful, we had thought we’d have 2 kids. I was 35 when we conceived the twins — for four kids in total. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more families like ours, in which you delay childbearing, which makes multiples more likely. The point is, our situation makes us counter to the one you posit.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 39, City : Donne, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

If people don’t have the money to go buy a new car or go on vacation having a new kid can provide them with some excitement in there normally boring lives.

User Detail :  

Name : DanielPfalmer, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Fairbanks, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.